Here's 6 things to consider before buying a new washing machine.
Find out what each wash programme does on your new washing machine.
Prevent shrunken jumpers and faded jeans with our guide to washing labels.
From hard water to dimensions, we answer your washing machine FAQs.
Looking to replace or upgrade your Washing Machine?
Is you washing machine starting to rattle around? Or have you upgraded your kitchen and want to swap an older model for a black washing machine? Don’t make laundry day a chore, Co-op Electrical has over 150 machines to choose from. Make light work of the laundry basket with a large capacity drum. We’d recommend at least a 9kg machine if you want to wash your duvet. We stock a huge of models from top brands. So whether you want a Bosch washing machine, a Hotpoint or a Samsung, we’re sure to have the right machine for your. If you’re after a specific brand choose from one of the links above to see the products available.
5 things to consider before buying a washing machine
1. Capacity It’s worth upgrading to a larger drum if your laundry pile seems to be never ending. A 9kg drum will fit a duvet or a week’s worth of washing for two adults and two children. We sell washing machines from 7kg up to a huge 11kg.
2. Features Most of us use just a couple of programmes on a washing machine with quick wash settings being the most popular. These could be 15 minute, 30 minute, 45 or 1 hour cycles. Special programmes for sportswear, baby clothes, jeans and wool are also worth looking out for.
3. Where it’s going If you’re after a washing machine that is neatly hidden behind your cupboard door, you’ll need an integrated model. Alternatively a black washing machine might be suitable if you want a more modern look in your kitchen or laundry room.
4. Spin Speed This is measured in revolutions per minute (RPM). The higher the spin speed the more water is removed from your clothes after a cycle. Most washing machines have an adjustable spin speed. This is important if you are washing delicate items because you’ll need to lower the spin speed to prevent causing damage to these garments.
5. Energy Rating Every washing machine we sell is rated A or better and more than 80 products are available with an A+++ or better rating. This is the highest energy rating awarded to electrical appliances.
Latest washing machine tech
There have been three major innovations with washing machines over the past 12 months. First Samsung Addwash, brought out the extra door within a door. This is perfect if you forget to add an item before starting a wash cycle. Simply press pause and pop open the extra door to add that forgotten sock or must wash shirt.
Bosch Washing Machines and Miele models offer iDos and TwinDos respectively. This allows you to preload your washing machine with up to a month's worth of detergent. There's no guesswork as the machine will automatically work out the exact amount of detergent to use. It's worth noting that both systems work with washing detergent only. Although you can still use washing powder in the top drawer for a single wash cycle. Finally Hoover's Wi-Fi Wizard brings smartphone connectivity to laundry day. You can start or stop a wash cycle from your phone, selecting the wash settings with a few swipes.